<$BlogRSDURL$>
Powered by TagBoard Message Board
Name

URL or Email

Messages(smilies)

Saturday, June 19, 2004

I think I'm gonna discontinue writing fics.

I've found that my own writing is still too juvenile at this stage. In future, I will still continue practicising my writing to try and correct some of my weaknesses, such as lack of description, and the inability to stick to the point.

But I'm not going to post them up in public to read. Well, no more long chaptered ones that is. One-shot stuff maybe, just to see if I touched up on certain things.

The critique I've been given made me really think about it. If I am really going to try writing seriously, I can't take my own work frivolously. If I don't take what I'm doing seriously, it'll come out slipshod, and I don't like that.

Anything I want to do, I must do well. Either that or it's not doing at all. So I must keep going at it. I know I'm not practising enough. Well, from now on I'm gonna try writing a small piece a day. Just to keep in practice. In addition to this blog of course. This place is a good way to keep my skills sharp.

I also need to broaden my vocabulary. Learning a language is a work of a lifetime. I should not be too arrogant and be humble enough to know that there is still much to learn. I must strive to improve myself.

When I finally feel that I've produced something worth reading, something which even I find hard to criticise, then will I ever post up fics again.

I guess it's time to break the news to my readers at solid07. Hope they understand my reasons. I've always wanted to be the best. 2nd place was never an option to me. To be anything other than the best is to become nothing in my own eyes. Perhaps it's slightly fatalist of me to assume so, but it this intensely competitive streak in me that keeps me going. I was never going to admit defeat, even if I claim so on the surface. The only reason why I hide that fact from others is because I don't need them to point fingers and say that I'm too arrogant to admit defeat.

Perhaps I am arrogant. No, I admit I am truly arrogant. I know I can be better, much better. Besides, it helps that even my favorite author, David Eddings, said that all good authors HAVE to be arrogant about themselves and their work. If not, they would probably have wilted after the first few times they took their work to publishers and were rejected. The arrogance in this case is referring to the fact that you KNOW you can do it, that people WANT to read your works, that when you're rejected, it's because those people were too blind to notice. Ok perhaps I exaggerate a little on that last bit, but seriously, if you have no faith in what you write, then why bother trying in the first place? It's plain common sense.

Alright, seems I'm getting off point again. I get so easily distracted...I need focus. Oddly I'm always able to focus when in exams. Maybe its because I have a specific topic to work on. When I'm on my own at home, I can't seem to think of a specific thing to write about. So I ramble. Like now. ^__^

Perhaps it's time to return to basics. Start from the most common thing, description. Like what I used to do in composition classes back in primary school. I could describe anything, people, environment, that kind of thing. I need to work on people description the most, I know I'm kinda lacking there.

I'll describe BoA. I have so many photos of her in different outfits. It would give me a chance to hone my clothes description skill. For some reason I always had problems in that department.

Then when I'm better at it, I'll describe real people around me. Like my granny for example. It's one thing to observe, it's another to translate what you see down to paper. And still be able to let others understand what you are describing. It's harder than I first thought...

Alright, time to stop speculating idly, and time to get down to work. First off, on to solid07 and officially discontinue my fics. Then on to work to practicise my writing. I'll periodically post stuff up here, short pieces primarily, for some critical opinion.

Wish me luck! I'll be working hard! ^__^

]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?