<$BlogRSDURL$>
Powered by TagBoard Message Board
Name

URL or Email

Messages(smilies)

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Excessive outburst.

That was the most obvious hint. And the pack of rabid wolves (otherwise known as fangirls) pounced.

What am I talking about? Why, Rei and Minako in PGSM. That's the Live Action version of Sailor Moon in case you didn't know.

That's right, now they're my new blazing pairing. Yeah I know the pun isn't even funny.

I still love Haruka/Michiru, duh. Those two are the epitome of classcial love (minus the heterosexuality though), of love that crosses all barriers and would overcome all obstacles.

But Rei and Minako have this vibe about them. It isn't as epic as the pairing above, but it IS very intense. What more can you expect from the soldiers of Fire and Love?

Maybe it's the whole Minako-dying and Rei's consequent overemotional breakdown in PGSM that really got me into the pairing. Always before, when it was still confined to the anime, I pretty much had variable pairings among all the other senshi except for Haruka and Michiru. I refuse to read either Haruka or Michiru with anybody else. Oh and I can't stand seeing Setsuna paired with Hotaru. That's just...wrong somehow.

And given my views on shoujo-ai, it might come as a surprise that I do like seeing Usagi and Mamoru together. I know that shoujo-ai fans tend to prefer pairing Rei with Usagi, their justification being the constant bickering between the two. But just as Haruka and Michiru just fit together, I think Mamoru is good for Usagi, and they should generally stay together. But I'm not completely closed to the idea that Usagi can be paired with one of her senshi though. It's just that if Usagi does end up with one of her senshi, it tends to mess up the whole dynamic of the team...it's a complicated issue.

Ah where have I gone? Yeah I realise that I'm getting a little over-obsessed with BSSM. It's hard not to. Haruka and Michiru are addictive. Hotaru is just fun to read, especially in fics where she is portrayed as a whimsical sort of person, not bubbly or anything, just having this strange grown-up amusement about the things around her, it's more than cool. Setsuna is the Guardian of Time...how much more cool and mysterious can you get than that?

As for the Inners, Rei with Minako in the PGSM timeline is great. There's this dynamic between them that just rocks. And not to mention the fact that the actresses that protray the two are really hot. Sorry if I sound like some lecherous perv, because it's hard not to melt when I see beauty like that.

Yeah and Ami with Makoto, while lacking the endearing charm of Haruka and Michiru, or the fiery passion (bad pun again!) between Rei and Minako, have this comforting equanimity to them that just works. It's a sweet pairing, nothing epic, but sweet and fluffy enough to soothe.

I've never read any fic with Usagi and Mamoru as the main focus of the story. Yeah I know. But it's hard. Being the main heterosexual pairing in the series, they get the most attention from fanfic writers, since 1) the homophobes have no reason to complain, 2) they are kind of cute together (Mamo-chan!!! haha, inside joke), 3)they ARE the main pairing.

It's hard to read the two as the central pairing of a fic as there are way too many fics out there, and I'm sick of trying to sieve through the masses to find the gems. That's harder than you think, you know. But I always like a bit of Usagi/Mamoru in the background when I read other fics. They are rather sweet together, Usagi's childishness notwithstanding (or maybe it's BECAUSE of her childishness).

I can't really pair Hotaru with any of the senshi, except possibly Minako. Yeah, stop giving me the weird looks. I've had enough of them from Kanai's general direction when I told her the same thing. I can't really think of anybody who would fit as well with Hotaru, since it's hard to understand and accept this Senshi of Death and Rebirth. Except possibly Setsuna, but I categorically refuse to put them in a romantic relationship. Platonic, yes. They are equals in the most basic sense. Death and Time understand each other in a way that not many others would grasp.

And the same thing comes into play when I put Minako with Hotaru. They do say that love overcomes all, even death. Yeah wince all you want at the bad pun. I'm kinda used to making ridiculously bad puns when it comes to BSSM. I think it comes with the territory. All the elements the senshi represent are just too good to pass up when making references.

Incidentally I've put Rei with Hotaru before. You know, letting the fire warm the chill of death. Yeah I did it again, didn't I? Heh. But Rei with Hotaru makes for amazing angst that you wouldn't believe. And I thought that I'd seen some of the best angst around with the Buffy/Faith pairing...

Oh on a slightly, but not quite separate note, you do notice that War and Death do go hand in hand together, don't they? *dies laughing* I'm punning like crazy today. Hehe.

Speaking of angst though, Rei with Usagi is GUARANTEED 100% chop-stamp angst. You know, the whole Destiny and Mamoru/Endymion factor. Not to mention Chibi-Usa.

Ah yes, Chibi-Usa and Hotaru. For reasons I can't quite fathom, the more I learn about the series, the less want to pair them up. I realise that this pairing is quite the favorite for most people to put Hotaru in, since she rarely fits in anywhere else. But personally I prefer putting Chibi-Usa with Helios. Yes I know the guy's a unicorn who sometimes takes on human form, but this is anime. Anything can happen. The fact that he does have a human form is more than enough I believe. Besides, Chibi-Usa does have a crush on Helios. It's canon, deal with it.

As for the Starlights, I'm not sure if I want to comment. They take the term 'cross-dressing' far beyond its original meaning. Gender-bending has never had such a literal sense before. I mean, these are female aliens who transform into male humans to form the Three Lights pop group. Can you say transsexual? It goes WAY beyond that, I'm afraid. Not that I'm particularly freaked out. It's just...strange.

Oh as for Endymion's 4 generals (Jadeite, Kunzite, Zoicite, and who's the last one?), I know they were working for Beryl when we first see them, but it doesn't change the fact that they were working for Endyimon first before changing sides. It's popular habit to pair the Inners (except for Usagi who already has Endymion/Mamoru) with these 4, since it makes perfect sense to let the bodyguards of the Moon Princess fall in love with the bodyguards of the Earth Prince. And they're just the right number too. Heh.

Can't say I've ever warmed to that proposition, largely because I don't know the 4 generals well, and because I am quite obviously a shoujo-ai fangirl. That and the fact that Kunzite and Zoicite look better off together. They're probably the only ones in BSSM with the most palpable hints of YAOI just floating around them. That's quite canon too, so don't look at me like that.

Suddenly I'm reminded of this fic where Usagi complains that her Mamo-chan keeps attracting the attention of the enemy...literally. I mean, Beryl, Metallia and Neherelenia. They all tried to turn Mamoru to their side. And I believe at least one of them expressed interest in the prince. Galaxia was the odd one out in this respect, but she doesn't really count since she was possessed by Chaos (gee the boy gets around huh? XP) at that point in time. It's almost amusing how that works really.

Ok I think I've sufficiently demonstrated my obsession with BSSM. I can't believe how much I managed to spew in the meantime. Ok, I guess it's time to stop.

Back to reading Rei/Minako fics then. Adieu!

]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?