<$BlogRSDURL$>
Powered by TagBoard Message Board
Name

URL or Email

Messages(smilies)

Thursday, July 13, 2006

I feel uselessly frivolous.

I think the best way to attain humility is to read the blog of a certain acquaintance of mine. That really instills the sense of inadequacy in myself.

Good news and bad news in school today.

Bad news: I didn't get my A1 for GP. Was one mark away. ONE LOUSY MARK. Forget it. I'm cursed.

Good news: I got 45/50 for GP Paper 1. No, its not a typo. I did get 45 out of 50. My first instinct was to question if I was seeing it right. Second instinct was to wonder if the teacher was crazy. Third was to twitch convulsively while my muscles were torn between spasming spamodically in joy versus propelling me in a random direction (preferably up) to demonstrate my elation. My brain managed to stop functioning for several moments after the shock of that news settled in. I know I regressed into my famous state of Babbledom for a short period of time. It happens. The CPU that is my brain is prone to hanging at awkward times. Maybe it's infected with a virus? I wouldn't put it past my brain.

Oh, and my exam script was stolen by the school to put in some silly time capsule thing supposedly to preserve memories of current times for the official opening of the new campus. Don't worry, I don't get it either.

So all I got back was a photocopied version of my original. Thanks.

Some people might not get the fuss over the 45/50. Long story short though, in JC for GP, the average "good" mark is in the high 30s. Anything that is above 40 is rare, if unheard of. According to my GP teacher, she has never seen a mark like it before. And she has been teaching for several years. Granted, maybe not long enough to provide substantive empirical evidence, but it's still shocking.

I'm afraid that I must comment about the teacher who marked my script. I'm very happy that she gave me 45/50. However, I wish her handwriting was more legible, because I wanted to read the remarks without having to resort to a Da Vinci Code rerun. I'm not a cryptologist and I don't intend to pursue that career in later years. However, what I can read of the numerous comments littering (literally) the columns on both sides of my essay is rather amusing. If I was showing off my ability for rational argument in the body of my essay, then the teacher was showing off her knowledge of cultural references that I didn't even realise that I had incorporated into my essay. I like it though, it shows that the teacher has a mind, and is well read. And it spurs me to want to read the books I had apparently drawn examples from without realising it.

You know, part of the shock of receiving the score was that I thought that I had messed up the essay. I was almost certain that it was badly organised and the arguments circuitous. Towards the end I was just making it up as I went along. Random ideas were just jumping around in my head while I strove to dump them all out in semi-coherent lines arranged in some semblance of thoughtful order. Well, I was rushing to finish it due to the time limit, and I had a heavy sense of dread when I had finished it that day. I was absolutely sure that I had gone off point, or made no sense. Imagine my surprise when my teacher informed me that I scored the highest with my essay. All I could do was go "EH?" and raise an eyebrow, while silently thinking "How the heck?!"

I guess it's a good reason for me to do abstract questions. I like moral, philosophical types of questions where there's room for argument and rationalising. It's my forte. I can probably argue my way out of a pit of quicksand if the subject appealed to my sensibilities. And it helped that I was thinking about the same topic that I wrote about before BT2 ever happened. You know, all those high and mighty dissertations on Justice, Good and Evil, and general cosmic theory on my occasionally pompous blog. Never thought it would come in that useful. Heh.

Well, its late and I need sleep. *yawns widely* Night...

]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?